Corning Incorporated (NYSE: GLW) today announced Corning® Astra™ Glass received the Gold Panel Display Component Technology Award at Touch Taiwan. Corning will showcase Astra Glass, along with its other industry-leading advanced glass solutions, at Touch Taiwan 2019 in Taipei, Taiwan, Aug. 28-30 in booth #K804.
“It’s a great honor to be recognized with the Display Component Technology Award,” said Han Yim, business director, High Performance Displays, Corning Display Technologies. “This award validates Corning’s ability to design and manufacture a glass that fulfills customer requirements for high-performance notebooks, tablets, and 8K TVs.”
The Gold Panel Award – presented by Taiwan’s Industrial Development Bureau, and Ministry of Economic Affairs, along with the Taiwan Display Union Association – recognizes a company that is actively engaged in the development and production of display materials or equipment in Taiwan. Award candidates are evaluated based on three main categories: marketability, innovation, and technology.
Designed for its ability to enable the higher pixel density of high-performance displays that panel makers require to meet consumer demand for brighter, faster, and more lifelike images, Astra Glass was the only glass solution to win the 2019 Display Component Technology Award.
Also during Touch Taiwan, Han Yim will present at the Global Market and Technology Keynote on Wednesday, Aug. 28.
“Touch Taiwan is one of the industry’s largest tradeshows of the year in Taiwan,” said Daniel Tseng, president, Corning Display Technologies Taiwan. “Corning’s participation is an opportunity for us to showcase our latest product offerings and demonstrate to customers we are innovating to meet the demands of the industry.”
In addition to Astra Glass, the Corning booth will feature:
- Corning® EAGLE XG® Slim Glass: enables panel manufacturers to innovate for thinner, lighter, and more environmentally-conscious display panels. Ideally suited for a-Si LCD applications, EAGLE XG® Slim glass is the industry-leading substrate for evolving displays.
- Corning Lotus™ NXT Glass: enhances the design and manufacture of high-performance displays and is optimized for the expanding LTPS-LCD and LTPS-OLED industries. Featuring superior key attributes for flexible OLED panel manufacturing, Lotus NXT Glass leads the industry, having enabled more than 375 million flexible OLED phones since 2015.
- Corning® Gorilla® Glass: is the cover glass of choice for more than 45 major OEMs and is featured on more than 6 billion devices – delivering superior damage resistance, optical clarity, and touch sensitivity.
- Corning Iris® Glass: a light-guide plate for edge-lit LCD displays. Due to its intrinsic rigidity and dimensional stability, it outperforms the incumbent technology – plastic – and allows manufacturers to reduce set thickness, increase set brightness, and design sets with slimmer bezels.
- Precision Glass Solutions: A one-stop shop within Corning for customizable glass wafers and panels, plus deep technical support throughout Corning’s customers’ product development cycle, and value-add processing technologies. Precision Glass Solutions supports customers pursuing emerging applications in the semiconductor and consumer electronics industries. Through this business, Corning has delivered more than 7 million wafers and enabled more than 300,000 devices to date.
- Corning Laser Technologies (CLT): A business unit within Corning that’s on the forefront of laser innovation. CLT offers proprietary laser systems that cut glass with low surface roughness, increased as-cut bend strength, and faster throughput. These machines can be fully automated, run in a 24/7 manufacturing environment, and support a wide range of emerging applications including cover glass and augmented reality wearables.
Caution Concerning Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains “forward-looking statements” (within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995), which are based on current expectations and assumptions about Corning’s financial results and business operations, that involve substantial risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially. These risks and uncertainties include: the effects of acquisitions, dispositions and other similar transactions by the Company, the effect of global business, financial, economic and political conditions; tariffs and import duties; currency fluctuations between the U.S. dollar and other currencies, primarily the Japanese yen, New Taiwan dollar, euro, Chinese yuan, and South Korean won; product demand and industry capacity; competitive products and pricing; availability and costs of critical components and materials; new product development and commercialization; order activity and demand from major customers; the amount and timing of our cash flows and earnings and other conditions, which may affect our ability to pay our quarterly dividend at the planned level or to repurchase shares at planned levels; possible disruption in commercial activities due to terrorist activity, cyber-attack, armed conflict, political or financial instability, natural disasters, or major health concerns; unanticipated disruption to equipment, facilities, IT systems or operations; effect of regulatory and legal developments; ability to pace capital spending to anticipated levels of customer demand; rate of technology change; ability to enforce patents and protect intellectual property and trade secrets; adverse litigation; product and components performance issues; retention of key personnel; customer ability, most notably in the Display Technologies segment, to maintain profitable operations and obtain financing to fund their ongoing operations and manufacturing expansions and pay their receivables when due; loss of significant customers; changes in tax laws and regulations including the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017; and the potential impact of legislation, government regulations, and other government action and investigations.
For a complete listing of risks and other factors, please reference the risk factors and forward-looking statements described in our annual reports on Form 10-K and quarterly reports on Form 10-Q. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the day that they are made, and Corning undertakes no obligation to update them in light of new information or future events.
In accordance with guidance provided by the SEC regarding the use of company websites and social media channels to disclose material information, Corning Incorporated (“Corning”) wishes to notify investors, media, and other interested parties that it uses its website (http://280ka.cn/worldwide/en/about-us/news-events.html) to publish important information about the company, including information that may be deemed material to investors, or supplemental to information contained in this or other press releases. The list of websites and social media channels that the company uses may be updated on Corning’s media and website from time to time. Corning encourages investors, media, and other interested parties to review the information Corning may publish through its website and social media channels as described above, in addition to the company’s SEC filings, press releases, conference calls, and webcasts.
About Corning Incorporated
Corning (280ka.cn) is one of the world's leading innovators in materials science, with a more than 165-year track record of life-changing inventions. Corning applies its unparalleled expertise in glass science, ceramic science, and optical physics along with its deep manufacturing and engineering capabilities to develop category-defining products that transform industries and enhance people's lives. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in RD&E, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and deep, trust-based relationships with customers who are global leaders in their industries.
Corning's capabilities are versatile and synergistic, which allows the company to evolve to meet changing market needs, while also helping our customers capture new opportunities in dynamic industries. Today, Corning's markets include optical communications, mobile consumer electronics, display technology, automotive, and life sciences vessels. Corning's industry-leading products include damage-resistant cover glass for mobile devices; precision glass for advanced displays; optical fiber, wireless technologies, and connectivity solutions for state-of-the-art communications networks; trusted products to accelerate drug discovery and delivery; and clean-air technologies for cars and trucks.